A CASE AGAINST CIRCUMCISION
BY: Lissa Rankin MD
Do you know what you just made me do to your son?
All in the family
So we don't feel... different?
Loving yourself exactly the way you are
7 Reasons Not to Circumcise Your Baby
- There’s absolutely no medical reason to do so. Contrary to popular belief, circumcision does not make the penis cleaner -- it just crosses off one more area that needs attention in the shower. It doesn’t reduce the risk of STDs, bladder infections, penile cancer, or penis infections.
- The surgery carries risks -- and yes, while I have never been personally responsible for pulling a Lorena Bobbitt on a poor, defenseless baby, I have seen little boys get the ends of their penises cut off as the result of circumcision. And remember, if you give birth at a hospital that has residents, it’s often the intern performing the circumcision!
- Many swear that having foreskin helps prevent premature ejaculation and can lead to longer lovemaking.
- God doesn’t make mistakes -- and the body was made with foreskin.
- Most countries do not circumcise their boys. Why should we?
- A person should have the right to choose whether they undergo a purely cosmetic surgery that cannot be undone.
- Circumcision HURTS! While some swear that babies cannot feel, I have watched them when I cut their little foreskins. And they definitely feel pain. Maybe they don’t remember it, but somewhere in their little budding psyches, they might. Do we really want a child’s first experience in life to be this pain?